Food Movie Fetish

I am a sucker for a good food movie.

My husband teases me about how usually, I have the same taste in movies as a 12 year old boy.  Among my favorites are Spider Man, ALL of the X-Men movies, Cat Woman, The Mummy and Tomb Raider series, and all Terminator flicks. (when the TV series The Sarah Conner Chronicles were cancelled, I mourned) I actually only own 3 DVD movies and one of them is Bat Man Returns.   However childish and weird it might be for a chick like me to have such a thing for over-the-top-action-adventure, I redeem myself somewhat in terms taste, because I also find great delight in curling up with a really good glass of wine and a great Food Movie.  (Dots and Doritos pair better with my Super Hero movie viewing sessions)

One of the most romantic films about food and love and the combination of the two, is Mostly Martha.  A few years ago, there was a cute/decent re-make of the original called No Reservations with Catherine Zeta-Jones, but the original, I think, is the best.  It opens with the female lead, a renowned chef who is describing a decadent dish and the presentation of it to her therapist.  It's about how a strict, cold hearted, persnickety, serious professional chef finds love. It seems very true to form in terms of portraying the life behind the scenes of a well known high end restaurant and there are subtitles so be fairly warned, but it is oh so worth it. 

Also, this little gem of a movie is where I heard my favorite Food Movie line ever:

"The best chef's are known by their simplest dish."


Comments

Popular Posts