The Best Salmon Recipe EVER

It’s been a while since I’ve posted a healthy recipe… I’ve been better about resisting sweets and I haven’t eaten anything with bacon in well over a month but I haven’t been a saint. (dark chocolate however is not BAD for you, it even offers health benefits!)



I love salmon. Especially fresh, well seasoned, perfectly cooked and flavorful salmon. It is so good for you… for your skin, your heart, your brain, the waistline… I could go on and on. I cook salmon about once a week and I’ve tried so many recipes it makes my mind spin. (One of my favorite higher calorie recipes is a gorgeous pecan crusted salmon but I’ll save that for another time)


This particular recipe is from one of my favorite cookbooks as well, The Ultra-Metabolism Cookbook by Mark Hyman, M.D.  It is filled with incredibly flavored recipes for dishes that are low fat, low calorie, usually dairy free and wheat free. The food that I’ve prepared using this cookbook never fails to amaze me because not only is it incredibly healthy and is touted to improve one’s metabolism, but it is some of the best tasting food I’ve made.



I’m sure I’ll be sharing more recipes from this particular cookbook in the near future, but here is one that is sure to get you hooked and will make you a believer. I would guess that after trying this recipe for salmon, you won’t want to try another for a very long time and you may just rush out and buy the cookbook itself or check it out from the library.

Apple-Soy Roasted Salmon



A moist and tasty salmon fillet with a spicy, sweet golden-brown glaze. A squeeze of lime juice finishes the dish.


¾ cup 100% apple juice


4 (6 oz) wild salmon fillets


2 Tbs low-sodium tamari (soy sauce)


1 Tbs sesame oil


1 tsp agave nectar or honey


1 tsp minced garlic


1 tsp minced ginger


¼ tsp Thai Kitchen Red Chile Paste (found in most grocery stores in Asian cooking aisle)


2 scallions


4 lime wedges


Place the apple juice in a small pan. Bring to a boil over high heat and reduce by about half. When reduced, set aside to cool.


Place the salmon in a single layer in a shallow baking dish.


Stir into the cooled, reduced apple juice, the tamari, sesame oil, agave nectar, garlic, ginger and red chili paste. Pour the marinade over the salmon and refrigerate for about 1 hour.


Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.


Before roasting the salmon, pour the excess marinade off the fish into a small pan. Bring the marinade to a boil over high heat. Cook until reduced by half, about 7 minutes.


Place the salmon in the oven and cook for about 7 minutes. Brush salmon with the reduced marinade and continue cooking for about 7 more minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through. Before serving, brush again with the marinade and garnish with the scallions and lime wedges.



Delicious with a crisp cold white wine such as a dry Riesling or Pinot Grigio!





Comments

Popular Posts