SnapDoodle Coffee Cake



On the weekends, when my kids are sleeping in, warm in their cocoon of sheets and blankets, I am compelled to bake.  One of my fondest memories of childhood is waking up slowly, luxuriously, to the sweet smell of cinnamon and brown sugar.  My mother made coffee-cake, "SnapDoodle Cake", when I was growing up, and now I do.  Almost religiously.  My grandmother Gi Gi's recipe.



It is simple and streamlined... one of those "one bowl" sort of recipes that is practically foolproof.  I do tend to load on the butter and I use the best cinnamon I can find, but it's the weekend.  It's a memory for my children and a staple in our house now, and worth every calorie.  I think the name came from "Snickerdoodle", which is one of my all time favorite cookies.


This is divine with a hot cup of coffee and makes your house smell like the weekend.  I can't think of a more comforting way to greet a Saturday morning.



SnapDoodle Coffee Cake


1 egg
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk


Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Beat ingredients thoroughly-place in greased pan.  
Dot with butter, sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.


Bake in one layer for 20 minutes.


Serve with a Mimosa.



Comments

  1. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. coffee cake

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts